Society's muse




No automatic alt text available.

As I look at my high school classmates, some are engaged, some even married, and a few have become Moms, blessing the world with gorgeous children. Society gives me the feeling that I am behind. At 21, I should have a baby on my hip or engaged planning a December wedding and planning a safe haven for a family.


But I’m not, I am living, I am 21.


The world doesn’t always come to an agreement with the path I am on. I can’t recall the last time someone has not asked me one of the following questions:


“What’s your plan in life?”
“Any little ones yet?”
“Are you dating?”


Keeping a level mind set isn’t easy when everything and everyone surrounding me is always in the middle and pointing out what is being done “wrong”.

Just a reminder, I am 21, level headed, and happy with where I am in life.

From time to time it’s really difficult not to compare myself and my life to the lives of my peers. But this is the route I’ve selected. I have made choices for myself for once, for my career, and for my success. All of those place me in a box when it is viewed upon by society. Have I fallen apart? Absolutely. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I hadn’t. But looking at this stage in my life, I am declining the comparison offer.


I will not grow if I allowed society to make a muse out of me.

Don’t get me wrong of course I want to get married to the person I love dearly, but over time when I know I can provide as he provides, that I can sit amongst his friends and speak with intelligence.  The astonishing thing in life is that there is no designated path to be taken in life, go ahead jump on the first train that comes your way, travel into your sunset. Let me be, let me carve my own path and enjoy the pleasurable views that come my way on my own time.

Namaste xx

Comments